These Plant-Based Nachos Will Satisfy All Your Snack Cravings—No Chips Required
Nachos are one of those foods that are undoubtedly good for the soul—but probably aren't filed under "go-to healthy snacks" in your brain. Until now.
Physician assistant and integrative nutritionist Katie Lemons, PA-C, MS, is proving that the words "healthy" and "nachos" can totally be used in the same sentence with this plant-based nachos recipe, which uses protein-packed Lightlife® Plant-Based Ground as the star of the snack.
"It's really easy to use," Lemons says. "And I love that it has simple and recognizable ingredients." Besides the plant-based protein swap (which you can find in the meat aisle at the grocery store, btw), the nachos also sub in baked sweet potatoes instead of tortilla chips.
"It's really easy to use. And I love that it has simple and recognizable ingredients."
That means, not only are these plant-based nachos your new favorite snack, but also—best news—nachos can now officially be included in your healthy dinner rotation (*pause for applause*).
Ready for nacho night? Watch Lemons make the plant-based nachos above, then snag the recipe for yourself below.
Sweet Potato Nachos
3 large sweet potatoes, washed and sliced into rounds
2 cups shredded, vegan cheddar cheese
1 cup black beans, drained
1 cup grape tomatoes, diced
1 package Lightlife Plant-Based Ground
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried cumin
1/4 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup romaine lettuce, shredded
1/4 cup green onions, diced
1/4 cup red onions, diced
1/4 cup cilantro, diced
2 Tbsp avocado oil
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss the sweet potatoes in avocado oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
2. Bake for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and top with vegan cheese, black beans, and tomatoes, and bake for an additional 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
4. As the potatoes are baking, sauté yellow onion with 1 Tbsp olive oil until fragrant and translucent.
5. Add Lightlife Plant-Based Ground and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add in spices (chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, dried cumin, dried oregano, salt, and pepper) and tomato sauce. Set aside.
7. Remove sweet potatoes from oven and top with tomato sauce mixture, romaine lettuce, green onions, red onions, and cilantro. Enjoy!
Sponsored by Lightlife
Loading More Posts...