Video: You Need This Sugar-Free Rosé Cocktail in Your Life This Summer
What goes great with pink wine? If you answered everything, you're not wrong. But in particular, it turns out rosé might have met its match with mezcal, a majorly trending Mexican spirit that's been dubbed the healthier tequila. Together, they're shaping up to be the hottest couple of summer 2017 (sorry Tom and Gisele).
At first it might sound like a peculiar pairing—given that mezcal, which is made from 100 percent agave, is mainly known for its smokey flavor. But trust: The plant-based liquor is more than okay when combined with the berry notes of blush wines. So says Claire Clancy, mistress of ceremonies (yes, that's a real title) for Gem & Bolt, the buzzy, female-owned mezcal distillery in Oaxaca, Mexico.
And the mixologist has a seriously refreshing—yet simple—way she likes to drink the two. Her rosé-mezcal cocktail recipe is created from a super-clean ingredient list (peep the simple syrup that comes with no added sugar) and tastes like, well, summer.
Ready to shake up your summer cocktail routine? Scroll down to see the recipe for a sugar-free rosé-mezcal drink and watch the video above to see how it's done.
Sugar-free Rosé and Mezcal Cocktail
Yields 1 serving
1 oz. lime juice
1 oz. ginger honey simple syrup (recipe below)
2 oz. mezcal
2 oz. rosé wine
1 handful of ice cubes
Ginger Honey Simple Syrup
2 cups water
1 cup honey
3 oz. ginger root cut into 1/2-inch pieces
For the simple syrup
1. Pour water into sauce pan and bring to boil.
2. Add honey and chopped ginger.
3. Simmer on medium for 45–60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Place lid on pot and let cool until syrup is room temperature.
5. Using a mesh strainer to separate syrup from ginger pieces, and pour liquid into a large bowl.
6. Use a funnel to pour syrup from container into sealable bottle to store in your fridge where it will keep for up to 3 months.
For the cocktail
1. Combine simple syrup, mezcal, and lime juice in a shaker with ice.
2. Shake vigorously.
3. Strain into coupe and top with rosé.
If you're looking to expand your bar repertoire, start by whipping up these 8 superfood-packed, party-ready cocktail recipes, or try this crystal-infused version.
Loading More Posts...