10 Thoughts You Have During a Therapy Session
We're in a new age of authenticity about mental health—thanks in part to honest and brave public figures telling their stories, and the popularization of things like "mental health days" at many offices. Taking the shame out of getting help is a huge step forward in terms of public health, no doubt. But what hasn't gotten easier is the actual work you have to put after you find your dream therapist.
Let's be real, when you're on that couch, revealing the inner workings of your soul, your mind is spinning at 100 miles an hour, throwing around some funny and relatable curveballs. You know, the type of stuff you would tweet or text a friend if you weren't otherwise occupied with said therapy session.
See the 10 things you probably think of while with your therapist.
1. Thank god they’re not judging me.
2. But, like, are they judging me?
3. What are they actually thinking right now? God, I wish I could see that notepad.
4. It feels good to be able to talk about myself nonstop for an hour.
5. Do therapists have therapists? Do they mention me in their sessions?
6. #Ugh, do I really have to deal with these real feelings?
7. Are they analyzing why I picked the couch over the armchair…? People don’t actually lie down, do they? Am I supposed to lie down?
8. Is it possible to talk too much during therapy?
9. Should I ask them how they’re doing? Are they allowed to answer that?
10. I wonder if I’m their favorite patient…
And for the über-curious, here's what Dr. Drew Ramsey says men talk about in therapy and what happened when Kylie Jenner live-streamed her session.
Loading More Posts...