One Slice of This Easy Breakfast Bread Packs Just As Much Fiber As a Bowl of Oatmeal
This recipe, created by Madison Powers, blogger behind Sugar+Salt, is all the things you love about banana bread with enough fiber to keep you energized until lunchtime. The two starring ingredients, old fashioned oats and apple, pack about 8 grams and 3 grams of fiber, respectively.
Oats are filled with a very special kind of fiber, sats Tracy Lockwood Beckerman, RD. “Oats contain a unique form of soluble fiber known as beta-glucan which helps you stay satiated for hours," she says. And this recipe for apple oatmeal bread uses oat flour for even more fiber, and gets natural sweetness from maple syrup.
And, the cherry, I mean, crumble, on top is that the bread's combination of three types of grains, you've got yourself a whole grain dish. "Instead of all-purpose flour, this recipe subs half oat flour (oats ground until it resembles flour) and half whole wheat flour," writes Powers. This is a pretty big deal, considering this means the bread is even higher in fiber and even richer in nutrients.
Basically: this loaf features all of the nutritional wins of oatmeal in the form of a thick slice of bread. My two cents? Slather a slice with your choice of nut butter, fruit, or a combination of both to make the bread even more hearty and mouth-watering.
Apple oatmeal bread
For the crumble topping:
1 Tbsp butter, melted
2 tsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp dry oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the bread:
1 cup dry oats, ground into oat flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour (can sub white-wheat or all-purpose flour)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 large eggs
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 up coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 cups diced, unpeeled apples (about 2 large apples)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. Make the crumble. Melt the butter. Mix in the oats, cinnamon and brown sugar. Set aside.
3. Peel two apples and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
4. In a food processor, pulse the cup of oats until the mixture is fine and resembles flour.
5. Place the oat flour in a large bowl. Add in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon and stir to combine.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and brown sugar. Fold in the chopped apples.
7. Add the apple mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Pour batter until prepared loaf pan and top with crumble mixture.
8. Bake in preheated oven 45 mins to an hour. The loaf is ready with a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
9. Cool bread and enjoy!
Loading More Posts...