Confession from a healthy food writer: If my apartment was on fire, I would sacrifice every cooking tool in my kitchen to save my Inspiralized spiralizer ($34.95). I've met people who can wax poetic about their Instant Pot, air fryer, or Vitamix blender, but to me, the spiralizer—which I use on the reg to make zoodles, carrot noodles, sweet potato noodles, and any other kind of veggie noodle—is superior to them all. I even packed it in my suitcase when I moved from NYC to North Carolina last year so I could start using it right away, before anything else was unpacked.
I recently confessed my love in Well+Good's Cook With Us Facebook group, curious to see if anyone had any new recipes that would help me put my spiralizer to good use. Then, someone shared with me a link to a recipe I hadn't seen before, and it came straight from Inspiralized creator herself, Ali Maffucci.
The recommendation was for an avocado zucchini noodle recipe, and the ingredients alone scream summer: charred corn, spicy shrimp, cilantro...We're also heading right into peak zucchini season, which lasts from early June to late August, so if you've never tried zucchini noodles, it's the perfect time. The best part: The sauce on the pasta is rich and creamy...and totally dairy-free, thanks to the use of avocado.
Seriously, what can't avocado do? Get the lowdown on its benefits here:
I know that traditionally Memorial Day weekend is a time for throwing burgers and dogs on the grill, but I'm planning on going a different route: pouring myself a crisp glass of sauvignon blanc and making this summery alt-pasta dish.
Creamy avocado zucchini pasta with charred corn and spicy shrimp
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
Kernels from 1 medium ear of corn
1/4 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 medium zucchinis, Blade D, noodles trimmed
8 medium to large shrimp, deveined, shells removed
1 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
For the avocado dressing:
1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
1 lime, juiced
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/2 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pepper, to taste
Water, if needed to thin
1. Start by spiralizing, dicing, mincing, and prepping all ingredients.
2. Next, place all of the ingredients for the dressing into a food processor (or high speed blender) and pulse until creamy. Taste and adjust to your preferences, if needed.
3. Place the zucchini noodles into a large mixing bowl, add the dressing and toss thoroughly to combine.
4. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add in the corn kernels and season with paprika, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring until corn is bright yellow and fork tender. Remove and set aside.
5. While corn cooks, place the shrimp in a medium bowl and top with olive oil, lime juice, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine.
6. Once the corn is done and set aside, add in the shrimp. Cook the shrimp for two minutes, flip, and cook another two minutes or until shrimp are opaque and c-shaped.
7. Once fully cooked, plate the zucchini noodles before placing the shrimp on top. Complete by adding in the cooked corn kernels right on top.
Loading More Posts...