It's a morning meal dreamed up by Lindsey Pine, RDN, a registered dietitian at the University of Southern California Hospital and the owner of TastyBalance Nutrition. Salmon, scrambled eggs, avocado, and arugula serve as the pizza's toppings and Pine says every single one is chock full of brain benefits. "Salmon is very well-known for containing high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids which helps to reduce inflammation and maintain brain structure. This may prevent cognitive decline and may even help to defend against depression," Pine explains.
The eggs are also a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. Eggs are also high in choline, a nutrient that's directly related to supporting the central nervous system and the brain. And of course, both the salmon and eggs are great sources of protein—key for staying full until lunch. The avocado is also a great source of brain-supporting healthy fats, specifically monounsaturated fats. Even the arugula is good for cognitive health because it's high in antioxidants, which help with blood flow to the brain. It's also full of fiber, which benefits the gut; anything that's good for the gut is good for the brain, too.
Watch the video below to see why one registered dietitian calls eggs "nature's multivitamin":
All these delicious, nutrient-rich toppings are placed on a flatbread slathered with a sauce made with Labne (kefir cheese), lemon zest, lemon juice, dill, shallot, and salt. "Fresh herbs are known for containing high amounts of powerful disease-fighting phytochemicals and dill is no exception," Pine says. Besides being good for the brain, she says that dill contains flavonoids, which are good for the heart.
"Shallots, which are part of the onion family, contain very powerful anti-inflammatory antioxidants such as quercetin, allicin, and kaempferol," Pine says, of the other key herb in the blend. Allicin is also linked to supporting the immune system—another perk.
How many benefits can you fit on one pizza, right? This is seriously one nutrient-rich meal. Pepperoni and cheese could never. Below, Pine shares the recipe and head to her website for more meal ideas packed with benefits.
Breakfast pizza recipe
1 cup Labne (kefir cheese)
1 tsp grated lemon zest
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
2 Tbsp minced shallot
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup 2% milk
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 8×10 sheet whole wheat lavash flatbread (you can also use naan or pita)
3 oz. sliced smoked salmon
1/2 avocado, sliced
1 cup baby arugula
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine the Labne, lemon zest, lemon juice, dill, shallot, and salt. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes to allow the shallot to mellow.
3. Preheat oven to 425 °F.
4. Break eggs into a medium bowl and add milk and garlic powder. Whisk until well combined and frothy.
5. Heat an 8 or 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the oil. Add the eggs and scramble by stirring with a silicone spatula. When eggs are no longer liquidy, turn the heat off.
6. Place lavash on a sheet pan and into the oven for three minutes.
7. Spread a half cup of Labne spread over the lavash. Evenly spread the scrambled eggs over Labne and place lavash back into the oven for six minutes or until lavash is warmed and slightly crisp.
8. Remove from oven and evenly spread the smoked salmon, avocado slices, and arugula over the flatbread.
9. Cut into 6 pieces.
Get more healthy breakfast ideas in Well+Good's Cook With Us Facebook group.
Loading More Posts...