Aqua Studio made a huge fitness splash two years ago when it opened in Tribeca as New York City’s first spin-in-the-water studio.
Since then, it’s stayed afloat thanks to gorgeous French founder Esther Gauthier, whose chic je ne sais quoi has contributed to keeping the studio cool and relevant among the fashion and wellness cognoscenti. (She’s a former fashion industry photo producer.)
The spa aspect is especially apropos, since Gauthier says working out in the water for 45 minutes is actually great for your skin and beauty routine. (Again, she’s French, so you have to believe her.) “Because the water keeps your body cooler, you’re not turning red like you would on land,” she says, “and since it’s a salt pool, your skin feels really soft after.”
To keep those beauty benefits going, Gauthier, a champion of organic eating and beauty, stocks the studio’s locker room, and her own beauty cabinet, with luxurious, all-natural products.
Here’s what she’s using in her out-of-the-water beauty routine right now. —Jamie McKillop
1. Jax Coco Extra Virgin Centrifuged Coconut Oil ($19) I’m obsessed with coconut oil. Everyone should have it. You can use it for so many things. I use it daily on my face as a moisturizer at night. It makes your skin look super oily so it’s best to use it at night. It really penetrates and heals your skin, especially with this crazy winter. It’s really efficient. A scar or a mark will go right away. You can also use it for your hair and your teeth.
2. Sonya Dakar Blemish Buster ($29) I read about this on Goop once, and she [Gwyneth Paltrow] said this was a lifesaver when you have a red carpet and your skin isn’t happy. It’s from a Los Angeles facialist, and I always have one in my bag. It’s the one thing you always want to have. It’s all-natural and good for very sensitive skin. Put this on and it really calms your skin down.
3. Origins VitaZing SPF 15 Energy-Boosting Moisturizer ($20) I couldn’t live without this. It’s such an amazing day cream. It has this little tint to it. I barely wear makeup, and I never use foundation—I think it covers your skin too much. My skin is very sensitive. If I scratch it, I will turn red. You put this cream on in the morning, and it unifies your skin tone in a very subtle way. I had my mom try it, and she has darker skin but she loves it and wants me to bring it to France.
4. Aesop Resurrection Duet Hand Wash and Hand Balm ($123) This just smells so good. The smell and the packaging are beautiful. The rosemary is what makes it smell so good.
5. Purely Lisa Pure Pitz ($15) Before this, I was using deodorant for men. Nothing would happen, not a drop of sweat. It was magical. And then I realized it’s important to choose one without aluminum. I had to get rid of it. I started this crazy hunt. I tried all of the deodorants at Whole Foods. I was so sad because I couldn’t find one that’s healthy but also effective. Then I found this one. It’s the best and all-natural. I give it to my friends and family. It’s small and pricey, but it’s worth it.
For more information, visit www.aquastudiony.com
(Photo: Charles Billot)