Best Fish Tacos Ever
Yields 12 tacos
For the pickled cabbage and radish slaw:
8 red or white radishes, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
1/2 head red cabbage, halved and thinly sliced crosswise (about 3 cups)
2 Tbsp coconut sugar or organic sugar
3/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
For the marinated fish:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)
3 Tbsp plus 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 lbs wild alaskan cod*
For the cilantro-lime sauce:
1/2 cup (4 oz) 2-percent Greek yogurt
1 tsp grated lime zest plus 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp finely chopped cilantro
2 tsp avocado or coconut oil (for the grill?)
12 6-inch corn tortillas
2 limes cut in wedges
1. To make the slaw, whisk the sugar and apple cider vinegar together in a medium bowl. Add the radishes and cabbage, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours—preferably overnight.
2. Marinate the fish: Whisk the lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, cumin, cayenne, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the fish fillets and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-3 hours.
3. For the sauce, whisk the yogurt, tequila, lime zest and juice, and cilantro together in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving.
4. Heat a charcoal or gas grill to high heat following the manufacturer’s instructions. Alternatively, heat a ridged, cast-iron grill pan to high heat. Use paper towels and tongs to grease the grill’s grates with the 2 tsp oil. Remove the cod from the marinade and grill without turning until it is firm and opaque throughout, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the fish to a plate and break it up into bite-sized pieces.
5. Stack the tortillas and wrap them in damp paper towels. Place them on a plate and microwave in 10-second increments (about 30 seconds total), checking them between intervals to see if they are warmed through and pliable.
6. To serve, divide the fish among the tortillas. Top with some pickled cabbage and radish slaw, tequila-lime sauce, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Loading More Posts...