Whether you're trying to figure out how to fold leggings and hoodie sweatshirts or jeans and turtlenecks, these folding experts have a method that's sure to work for you. After mastering the simple and easy-to-follow techniques, you'll be well on your way to the ridiculously organized closet of your dreams.
How to fold clothes in your closet the right way
1. Sweaters, crewnecks, and hoodies
If you're a fan of all things cozy (who isn't?), you probably have a solid collection of sweaters and hoodies that take over an entire section of your closet. By learning how to fold them properly, you can save yourself a lot of space—and prevent the fuzzy avalanche that's bound to happen. According to Horderly, there's a simple way to go about it.
How to fold sweaters, sweatshirts, and hoodies:
- Lie your sweater or hoodie flat.
- Imagining a line going down the middle of the sweater, fold each side into the line. Then, fold the sleeves back.
- If you're folding a hoodie, this is the point to fold the hood in, making sure it lays flat on top of the sleeves.
- Fold the bottom of the sweater up toward the top 1 to 3 times. For hoodies, fold the top (hoodie-side) down toward the bottom, keeping the hoodie snug inside.
2. Long-sleeve shirts and turtlenecks
How to fold long-sleeve shirts:
- Lie your shirt flat.
- Take the left sleeve and fold it in halfway. Then, fold it in toward the body of the shirt at an angle.
- Repeat on the right side. They should both be symmetrical.
- If you're working with a turtleneck, fold it down, creating a straight line at the top of your shirt.
- Fold the left side into the body of the shirt. Repeat on the right side.
- Now that you have a long rectangle, take the top portion and fold it down three times.
3. T-shirts and graphic tees
Your t-shirt and graphic tee collection can easily get messy and out of control if you don't have the right folding technique. These instructions from Angie Eats It All let you create a stack of shirts that look just as good as what you'd see at your favorite retail store.
How to fold short-sleeve shirts:
- Lie your shirt flat.
- Place your left thumb next to the right sleeve, and fold it in toward your thumb.
- Repeat on the opposite side with your right thumb.
- Fold the bottom of the t-shirt up to armpit level.
- Take the bottom of that fold and fold it up to the collar.
- Flatten it out, and flip it over.
@lenniamcReply to @itsisabel45 How to fold Jeans part 3 ##jeans ##TodayILearned ##foldingclothes♬ The Chicken Wing Beat - Ricky Desktop
Your jeans are one of the easiest things to fold. Lennia McCarter, the "CEO of folding hacks" on TikTok, showed how to do it in minimal steps.
How to fold jeans:
- Lie your jeans flat.
- Take the bottom of the right leg and fold it up to meet the top of your jeans. Repeat on the left leg of your jeans.
- Fold the right leg up again, bringing the fold to the top of your jeans. Repeat on the left side.
- Fold the right side over the left side to create a square.
There's one tiny thing you're forgetting when folding your leggings that's keeping you from having a perfect stack in your closet. According to Layne Brookshire, the owner of Ms. Placed Professional Organizing, the secret is tucking in the booty area.
How to fold leggings:
- Lie your leggings flat.
- Fold one leg over the other.
- Tuck in the pointy butt area.
- Fold the ankles up toward the waist, folding the leggings in half.
- Fold the leggings in thirds.
Now that it's almost time to put your shorts away for the season, here's how to do it with ease using the KonMari method, demonstrated by stylist Megan Jedlinski.
How to fold shorts:
- Lie your shorts flat.
- Fold one side over the other.
- Fold the pointy area in to make a perfect rectangle shape.
- Divide it into thirds, rolling the bottom up once, then again.
- Store the shorts in a container or drawer on their sides.
Loading More Posts...