This Easy, Healthy Mushroom Lasagna Will Make Your Next Pasta Night Even Better
There's literally never a bad time for pasta. Even during the hottest summer weather, nothing quite beats a plate of spaghetti or a bowl of pesto-drenched ravioli. But if you're sick of just boiling noodles and tossing them with sauce, chef and Well+Good Council member Candice Kumai has the 201-level recipe that every pasta-lover should know how to make: lasagna. Yes, the layered pasta dish looks complicated and intimidating, but this recipe is super easy to follow and comes together in under an hour. The best part? It's filled with vegetables and is vegetarian-friendly—just look for a Parmesan that uses vegetarian rennet or is explicitly labeled vegetarian. Trust us: This kale and mushroom lasagna recipe will soon become part of your regular pasta night rotation.
With the addition of “meaty” mushrooms, kale, delish homemade marinara, and ricotta cheese, this recipe is amazing to share with your family—or just enjoyed solo with leftovers for days. If you can’t find no-boil lasagna noodles, you can use regular lasagna noodles. Boil them until al dente, strain, and shock with cool water, then line them up on a lightly oiled baking sheet before assembling the lasagna. That’s how they do it in restaurants! I also call for three cups of my homemade kale marinara sauce, which you can make in advance. But feel free to use your favorite brand of jarred organic marinara sauce instead if you want to make this recipe even easier.
One-Pan Kale Mushroom Lasagna
Olive oil cooking spray + for the baking dish 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄2 yellow onion, finely chopped
4 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
2 cups shredded lacinato kale leaves
2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
3 cups Homemade Kale Marinara Sauce (or jarred organic marinara)
6 no-boil lasagna sheet noodles
1⁄4 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 ̊F. Lightly spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with olive oil cooking spray, and set aside.
2. In a large sauté pan, warm the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and shredded kale, and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
3. Put the ricotta cheese in a large bowl, and, using a spatula, gently fold in the cooled mushroom-kale mixture until completely incorporated.
4. Using the prepared baking dish, assemble the lasagna in six layers as follows: 1 cup marinara sauce, spread evenly; 3 lasagna noodle sheets (arranged in a single layer); 3⁄4 cup of the kale-mushroom-and ricotta mixture, spread evenly. Repeat the layering a second time, then top with the remaining kale-mushroom and ricotta mixture, and finish with grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese on top.
5. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake in the preheated oven, on the middle rack, for about 25 minutes. After 20 minutes have passed, remove the foil from the baking dish and move the baking dish to the top rack. To finish, bake, uncovered, for another 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how you love your lasagna finished.
Loved this recipe and looking for more? Be sure to join Well+Good's Cook With Us Facebook community for more recipes, cooking tips, and more.
Loading More Posts...