This Gluten-Free Strawberry-Rhubarb Scones Recipe Puts the Taste of Springtime in Every Bite
Each trip to the farmers' market marks one of the great joys of spring and summer. The abundance of seasonal fruits and vegetables laid out at each stand are just begging to be put into your canvas tote and taken home. Next time you're at the farmers' market, pick up the freshest ingredients for strawberry-rhubarb scones scones recipe you won't soon forget.
"These scones are super delicious," says wellness and compassion activist Haile Thomas, author of the Living Lively. "It's the perfect way to honor spring ingredients. I thought, why not work with these two ingredients that are a match made in heaven and make some scones?
Baking with rhubarb and strawberries offers perks in terms of taste as well as nutrition. Of course, strawberries are naturally sweet, which limits the need for added sugar. They're also full of vitamin C, antioxidants, and fiber. Rhubarb is tart, which counterbalances the strawberry's sweetness. Both strawberries and rhubarb are a good source of gut-healthy fiber.
For this chunky "rhuberry" scones recipe, Thomas uses tahini, unsweetened applesauce, and coconut sugar. The applesauce is used in place of coconut or canola oil and it adds a nice natural sweetness, she says. Tahini's nuttiness and bitterness pairs really nicely with sweeter ingredients.
Thomas uses a gluten-free flour as the base, but traditional flour works just as well if that's what you prefer. She uses oat milk for moisture, but any milk or alt-milk works just as well. Letting the dough sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before forming your scones serves to enhance the texture for that perfect balance of fluffy and dense.
Chunky strawberry-rhubarb scones
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup tahini
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened oat milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract 1
1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup medium-diced strawberries
1/2 cup diced rhubarb
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
Flaky sea salt to garnish
1. Add the tahini, apple sauce, and coconut sugar into a big bowl and mix together.
2. Then, add in the vanilla extract and oat milk. Whisk together.
3. In another bowl, mix together the gluten-free flour, lemon zest, salt, corn starch, baking soda, and baking powder. Whisk it all together.
4. Add the flour mixture into the tahini-applesauce-coconut sugar mix. Add in the rhubarb and strawberries. Then, add the coconut flakes. Blend it all together.
5. If you have time, let the dough sit in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. Use an ice cream scoop to make the scone balls, placing them on a baking sheet.
7. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 350°F.
8. Sprinkle with sea salt and let cool for 10 minutes before eating.
Oh hi! You look like someone who loves free workouts, discounts for cult-fave wellness brands, and exclusive Well+Good content. Sign up for Well+, our online community of wellness insiders, and unlock your rewards instantly.
Loading More Posts...