But if you thought all recipe options had been exhausted by now, think again. In his new book, The Sweet Potato Diet, personal trainer Michael Morelli argues that the overachieving root vegetables should have a presence in every dish you make, from breakfast waffles to chili to chocolate chip cookies.
Overkill, much? Maybe not. Morelli's obsession began when he vowed to replace his usual donuts, pizza, and sugary cereal with sweet potatoes. That move ended up eradicating his lethargy—most likely because they pack a serious amount of fiber to aid in digestion and colon health, help stabilize blood sugar, and promote a healthy immune system. (There's a reason they were named world's healthiest veggie.)
Keep reading for 3 genius sweet potato recipes for every meal of the day.
Sweet Potato Protein Pancakes
Yields 6 servings
1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
1 cup protein powder
1 cup coconut or almond milk
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp arrowroot starch
1. Combine all ingredients to create the batter.
2. Cook in a skillet until the sides of the pancake begin to look dry. Flip, then continue to cook on the other side until done.
Sweet Potato Tots
Yields 25 tots (depending on size)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine ingredients except hot sauce and form into balls.
3. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and place tots on sheet.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes.
5. Once out of the oven, coat with hot sauce while still warm.
BBQ Chicken Burgers
Yields 4 burgers
1 lb. ground chicken
1 medium sweet potato, shredded
1 cup spinach, chopped
1 medium sweet potato, sliced thick
1. Mix the chicken, shredded sweet potato, and spinach, and form into patties.
2. Grill burgers; make sure the thermometer reads 175°F to ensure chicken is fully cooked.
3. Coat the sliced sweet potatoes with olive or coconut oil and place on grill until tender, flipping halfway through.
4. Top burger with sweet potato slices or serve on the side.
Each week we spotlight a healthy-delish recipe that’s truly genius (and easy to make) from someone who’s wowed us in the food world. We’re talking buzzy cookbook authors, Instagram foodies, and brilliant chefs. You can find more mouthwatering must-try ideas from the Recipe of the Week archive.
Loading More Posts...