This time of year, vines are bursting with ripe, juicy tomatoes. And while tomatoes certainly don't need much dressing up—slice 'em with some mozzarella cheese, drizzle with olive oil, and you're good to go—getting a little more creative can yield delicious results.
Case in point: the pesto tomato galette in the latest episode of Alt-Baking Bootcamp. "If you're not familiar with a galette, a galette is a traditional French tart," nutrition coach and trained chef Mia Rigden shares in the video. "It's a rustic-style tart that can either be made savory or sweet." If you think it sounds fancy and are a little intimidated, don't worry; 'rustic' is basically cooking code for 'doesn't have to be fussy.'
"This recipe gives me major pizza vibes, but it's [kind of like] a sophisticated French version of a pizza," Rigden says. Also, unlike traditional pizza, this pesto tomato galette is gluten-free. (It's also dairy-free, with the exception of ghee, which doesn't contain lactose.) Besides the tomatoes—which are absolutely crucial for this tart—the other sweet, seasonal component is fresh pesto. Ridgen shows how to make a homemade one in just a few minutes. In it are spinach, basil, pine nuts, garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.
While any type of tomatoes work in this recipe, Ridgen's favorite to use here are heirloom tomatoes. "I love heirloom tomatoes because they're so beautiful. They have such vibrant colors," she says. She uses red, green, orange, and yellow tomatoes which really give the galette its French farmer's market feel. Tomatoes are also the major dietary source of the antioxidant lycopene, which has been linked to many health benefits, including reduced risk of cancer and heart disease as well as anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Mia Rigden, chef, nutritionist, and the founder of RASA, a company specializing in individualized nutrition programs
And while the tomatoes are simply sliced and arranged on top of the tart, the dough-shaping process is a bit trickier. Watching Ridgen in the video makes it a whole lot easier, however, and don't forget what we said about the term 'rustic'—perfection not necessary. The delicious dough is made with just eggs, gluten-free flour, white vinegar, ghee, salt, and water.
Watch the episode above to see exactly how it's done and how the crust, tomatoes, and pesto come together to make this gorgeous, tasty galette. Bon appétit!
Pesto tomato galette recipe
3 to 4 heirloom tomatoes
For the pesto:
1 handful basil leaves
1 handful spinach leaves
2 Tbsp toasted pine nuts
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
For the crust:
2 eggs, divided
2 Tbsp white vinegar
2 Tbsp cold water
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out the dough
1 cup ghee
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Start by making the pesto. Add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until fully combined. Set aside.
3. Next, make the crust. Whisk one of the eggs with the vinegar and water in a bowl. In a separate, larger bowl, mix together the flour with a pinch of sea salt.
4. Mix the ghee in with the flour. Use a pastry cutter to make sure every grain of flour is coated with ghee, then add the egg, mix until combined and roll into a ball.
5. Place the dough on top of a piece of plastic wrap that has been dusted with flour. Dust more flour on top of the dough and use the heel of your hand to roll the dough out into a large circle.
6. Transfer the dough to the parchment-lined baking sheet, and spread pesto evenly across dough, leaving a 1-inch border.
7. Top with sliced tomatoes, sprinkle with sea salt and fold the edges of the dough over the tomatoes. Whisk together the remaining egg, and using a pastry brush, paint the edges of the dough with the egg.
8. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until the crust is golden.
Get more recipe ideas in Well+Good's Cook With Us Facebook group.
Oh hi! You look like someone who loves free workouts, discounts for cult-fave wellness brands, and exclusive Well+Good content. Sign up for Well+, our online community of wellness insiders, and unlock your rewards instantly.
Loading More Posts...