Barry's Bootcamp famously serves up tough-as-nails workout classes that combine running with weight training in its 45 locations worldwide. Now that studios across the globe have closed their doors, we've enlisted New York City Barry's instructor Sashah Handal to recreate the sweaty and rewarding workout remotely so you can set your heart racing wherever you are. Welcome to Well+Good's Trainer of the Month Club, Barry's edition.
In just 20 minutes, Handal will lead you through a circuit of heart-pumping cardio that you can squeeze in to break up your workday (à la the way people do it in the Blue Zones) or to bust out as quick weekend sweat session. Just grab your yoga mat and your tried-and-true resistance band—and let's get down to business. Twenty moves, 60 seconds each—you got this.
Here's your 20-minute total body HIIT workout
- Sashah Handal, Barry’s Bootcamp instructor certified in personal training, HIIT, indoor cycling, and TRX
1. Inch Worm: Start standing. Place the resistance band right above your knees and step your feet hip's width distance apart. Squat down and place both hands onto the ground. Walk into plank pose: shoulders over your wrists, pelvis tucked under, and legs and core engaged. Walk your hands back into your squat once more and stand up. Keep going for a full 60 seconds.
2. Push-Up: Come into plank pose with your band still in place. Shift to the tips of your toes and squeeze your abs and glutes. Bend your elbows and lower your chest straight down to elbow-height. Use your core to push back up into plank pose. Do as many as you can in 60 seconds, keeping a slow, controlled pace. (You can drop your knees to make this move a bit easier, of course.)
3. Plank Jack: Still in your plank pose with the band just above your knees, begin jumping your feet out then in, out then in. Continue for 60 seconds.
4. Bridge Lift: Roll onto your back (phew!) and bring your heels close to your glutes. Your resistance band should still be just above your knees. Press down through the palms of your hands and press your pelvis toward the sky. Lower back down. Keep it going for 60 seconds.
5. Lunge and Tricep Extension: Stand up and use your left hand to glue your resistance band onto your right shoulder. Grab the bottom of the band with your right hand and lunge your right leg back. At the same time, push your right hand into the resistance band to extend the arm. Return to standing and continue this movement for 60 seconds.
6. Lunge Hold and Tricep Extension: On your last rep of the last move, remain in your lunge for a full 60 seconds. Stretch and bend your right arm repeatedly, keeping your lower body completely still.
7. Lunge Hop: Still in the lunge position, stretch your arms forward. Step your right leg behind your left in a curtsy. Return to center. Keep that going for 60 seconds.
8. Runner’s Row: Still in your lunge with your left leg forward, loop the resistance band underneath your left foot. Straighten through your back leg and tip your torso forward. Grip the resistance band with your right hand and row your elbow straight back. Keep going for 60 seconds.
9. Tap Out Push-Up: Come back to plank position. Loop the band around both wrists. Walk your right hand to the right and lower into your push-up. Return to plank pose and walk your right hand back under your right shoulder. Repeat this movement for 60 seconds.
10. Side Plank Dip: From your plank position, lift your left arm toward the sky and twist into side plank position: right shoulder over the right wrist, abs engaged, and left foot staggered next to the right. With control, dip your hips toward the ground. Return to plank. Go for 60 seconds.
Repeat steps five through 10 on the opposite side.
11. Up-and-Down Plank Jacks: Come into plank position and loop the band back over your thighs. Lower down to your forearms, keeping your core stable. Push back up to the palms of your hands and jump your feet out, then back in. Keep it going for 60 seconds.
12. Push-Up and Tap: Still in that plank position with the band hugging your thighs, drop into a push-up, come back up, then row your right elbow back. Lower your body again, push back up, and row your left elbow back. You've got 60 seconds on the clock.
13. Burpees: Stand up for your last move. Squat down, place both hands on the ground and jump back into plank. Lower into your push-up, return to plank, and hop back forward. Jump straight up and land back in your squat. Keep it going for your final, burnout minute.
Loading More Posts...