If you’re a chocolate lover, there are few desserts better than chocolate cake. The moist fudgy cake, the rich chocolate frosting…heaven on a plate. However, classic cakes are made with lots of butter and eggs—which isn’t a bad thing, per se, but definitely makes this class of dessert off-limits to vegan eaters. But you can be plant-based and eat your cake too, thank to this delicious vegan chocolate cake recipe from chef and Well+Good Council member Candice Kumai. Some of the ingredients might be surprising—grated beets? avocado?—but they help create a delicious, chocolaty, nutrient-rich cake that anyone will enjoy eating. Serve with a glass of cold alt-milk or a scoop of non-dairy ice cream for the ultimate dessert.
This incredibly moist and decadent-appearing cake is made from two secret healthy ingredients: avocados and beets. Avocados are rich in healthy fats, fiber, potassium, and vitamin B6. Beets are a good source of potassium, fiber, and vitamin B6, and they add natural sweetness and moisture to this cake. You won’t be able to tell the difference!
Vegan Dark Chocolate Avocado Beet Cake
1 3/4 cups gluten free 1-to-1 baking flour (like Bob’s Red Mill)
1/2 cup almond meal flour
3/4 cup unsweetened dark Dutch cocoa powder (Dutch cocoa powder will give you the best results!)
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1 fully ripe avocado, ripe, finely mashed
1/2 cup finely grated beets (loosely packed)
3/4 cup granulated coconut sugar
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
1 cup water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons powdered sugar to dust the top of the cake
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut a round parchment paper base for the bottom of your cake pan(s). Grease an 8” cake pan with coconut oil or baking spray, add your parchment round inside and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, almond meal, cocoa powder and baking powder.
3. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the mashed avocado with a fork (make sure all lumps are gone), add in the grated beets and sugar. Slowly whisk in the coconut oil and vanilla extract to combine. Add in your water, whisk to combine well.
4. Using a spatula, slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, mix until just combined. Batter will resemble a very thick brownie batter.
5. In a small bowl, combine baking soda and apple cider vinegar and fizz! Fold into the thick cake batter. Mix well to combine
6- Using a rubber spatula, add the cake batter into the 8” prepared cake pan, spread evenly into the pan using the rubber spatula. Place the pan on to the middle rack of the oven for approximately 22-24 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
7- For topping: Add 2 tablespoons of confectioner’s sugar to a mesh sifter and dust on top of the cake! Enjoy with a cup of tea and a celebration with friends!
Loading More Posts...