But you know what makes cold days pretty special? Curling up inside with a warm bowl of soup. Warming the body from the inside out, a nourishing soup will actually make you thankful for a chilly day. Making the perfect soup doesn't have to take long either. In fact, Feel Food Foodie creator and recipe developer Yumna Jawad makes one that only takes 10 minutes of prep time, a vegan lemon rice soup.
- Yumna Jawad, recipe developer and content creator behind Feel Good Foodie
Besides requiring very minimal effort to make, Jawad's vegan lemon rice soup is made with ingredients you likely already have; there's nothing expensive or hard to find in it. The ingredients include vegetable broth, olive oil, short-grain rice, fresh lemon juice, veggies (she uses zucchini, onion, carrot, celery, and carrots), and spices (garlic, oregano, bay leaves are Jawad's recs). If you don't have the exact veggies or spices listed in the recipe, just use what you have on hand instead. Juwad says there are other ways you can play with the recipe too, like using potatoes instead of rice.
Lemon juice is an underrated soup ingredient and Juwad says incorporating it brightens up the whole dish. "The acidity of the lemon can pair with veggies—and meats if you have soups with meat in them—to create a brighter overall look," she says.
As you can tell by the ingredients list, this soup is also packed with fiber from both the rice and all the glorious veggies. It's also versatile enough that you can add in truly any protein of your choice. You can keep it vegan by adding in tofu, or you can add meat or fish. Check out the recipe below and get ready to make your winter day extra cozy.
Vegan lemon rice soup recipe
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup short-grain rice
2 bay leaves
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus lemon slices for garnish
Chopped fresh parsley for serving
1. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery. Cook until soft and translucent, five minutes. Add garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook until fragrant, one to two minutes.
2. Stir in the zucchini, rice, and bay leaves until well incorporated, about one more minute. Add the vegetable broth and water and bring the mixture to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook covered until rice is fluffy and vegetables are soft, 30 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and stir in as much of the lemon juice as you’d like. Garnish with chopped parsley and lemon slices, if desired. Serve immediately.
Oh hi! You look like someone who loves free workouts, discounts for cutting-edge wellness brands, and exclusive Well+Good content. Sign up for Well+, our online community of wellness insiders, and unlock your rewards instantly.
Loading More Posts...