The four o’clock routine: Stare blankly at computer screen, procrastinate, realize you still have lingering to-do-list items, reach for an energy bar after you refill your cup of coffee, and get back to work.
Easy? Yes. Energizing? Sure. Tasty? Not quite.
Enter dirty chai energy balls, which combine the warm spices of chai with espresso powder, alongside rolled oats, chia seeds, protein-packed nut butter, and sweet tooth-satisfying (not to mention antioxidant- and magnesium-packed) cacao nibs, give this bite-sized snack the perfect nutrient boost.
This recipe is the brilliant brainchild of Ashley Walterhouse, the certified personal trainer and blogger behind Fit Mitten Kitchen. If you find yourself extra-energized after whipping up one of her nutritious meals, she can lead you through HIIT workouts and weight-lifting circuits, too.
Ready to switch up your energizing snack game? Keep reading for the recipe.
Yields 18-20 energy balls
1 1/4 cups gluten-free rolled oats
Chai spice blend
1 Tbsp espresso powder
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup creamy natural nut or seed butter (Walterhouse’s chai spiced almond cashew butter would be delicious here)
1/3 cup honey or brown rice syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp cacao nibs
1. In a large bowl combine oats, chai spice blend, espresso powder, chia seeds, and cacao nibs.
2. Add in nut butter, honey or brown rice syrup, and vanilla extract. Use a sturdy spatula or spoon to combine.
3. Once ingredients have come together, place bowl in freezer for about 10 minutes (or fridge for 20 minutes), which will make forming the energy balls a lot easier.
4. Using a tablespoon, scoop mixture into rounded balls and roll between palms to shape. You should get roughly 18-20 balls.
5. Store balls in container in the fridge for about 2 weeks. Balls also keep well in the freezer in an airtight container for about 2–3 months.
Loading More Posts...