My Studio Style: Kino Macgregor
If you've ever taken a class with renowned yoga teacher Kino MacGregor at her studio or via her super popular online videos, she was probably wearing her signature bright and colorful hot pants.
Which is no wonder, given her affinity for hot and humid climates and a tough yoga approach that produces tons of sweat. MacGregor co-owns the Ashtanga Yoga school Miami Life Center in Miami Beach and has visited India every year for the past fifteen years, a testament to her devotion to the style, which she calls "the single most disciplined yoga practice."
Of course, it's not about how great her abs look. "For me, going through the postures in Ashtanga Yoga is a spiritual journey—there's never a beginning or an end," she explains. "I use yoga as a tool to help each student find their inner being."
She does that by teaching workshops around the world, writing books (the third of which is out next year), and reaching students with her videos for Grokker.
And while hot pants are her style item of choice, she does have a few other faves, even the occasional pair of leggings. Get a taste of her fun, vibrant style, below. —Jamie McKillop
1. Teeki Purple Hazed Hot Pant ($48) Teeki is a really awesome company that makes all of their yoga pants from recycled plastic bottles. Their effort to be sustainable is very much a part of my values and the yoga lifestyle. I love their stitching and design, and they have a wide waistband, [meaning] no muffin top. If you're worried that they're made out of plastic bottles, it doesn't feel like that when you're in them. They're silky, and you slide right in and out even when you're sweaty.
2. Shakti Activewear Side String Shorts ($43) One of the things I love about Shakti is that they're constantly coming out with new colors and prints. This is my go-to short when I'm filming yoga videos. They're perfect for Ashtanga and keep everything inside.
3. Nike G87 Women’s Training Tank Top ($38) The fabric on this top is really buttery and thin. I don't like tank tops with built-in bras. So this is just a tank, and it gives just the right amount of coverage. With a built-in bra, the sizing never works for me in the bra and the tank. Plus, I have the option to take it off and just practice in a bra.
4. Elisabetta Rogiani Halter Top ($85) The founder of this line has a fashion background and is from Italy but lives in Hollywood, so she has an awesome edge. This is the most flattering tank, because you can custom fit it to your own body. There's nothing like having a piece exactly for your body shape. This is you, it doesn't matter if you're small, medium, or large. [You can custom fit the top with your own measurements or order it in basic sizes.]
5. Alo Yoga Goddess Ribbed Legging ($92) This is not a typical legging, I like to wear it when it's a little colder or I'm going to and from teaching. Plus, they look awesome with boots or high heels. When you're in them they keep you really warm and come down all the way over your heels, so they keep your feet warm too.
For more information, visit www.grokker.com and www.kinoyoga.com
Loading More Posts...