How does one become an international barre maven? For Xtend Barre founder Andrea Rogers, it was totally organic.
Rogers, a former dancer, moved with her husband to Florida 12 years ago and became a classical Pilates instructor. “I started missing the creative outlet I had with dance,” she says. “I started adding dance elements to Pilates, and I noticed my clients were really connecting to the moves and were able to advance their training. One of my clients moved in 2009 and wanted to take it with her, so I looked into licensing.”
Now just five years later, Xtend Barre has 49 franchise locations worldwide, with 27 in the United States, and the busy wellness-business woman and mom is often traveling.
“I’m always looking for unique fitness fashion pieces—that’s my work attire,” she says, “but they need to be multifunctional and transition from the airplane to the studio.” What does that look like?
Here’s what she’s currently wearing to do it all in. —Jamie McKillop
1. Nike Dunk Sky Hi Mesh Wedge Sneaker ($175) I love how versatile a wedge sneaker is. I can wear them here in Florida paired with cut-off shorts or while traveling with skinny jeans, and of course to and from the studio with leggings.
2. Alala Supernova Sweatshirt ($155) This neoprene sweatshirt with mesh front thumbholes on the cuffs is effortlessly cool. My daily life is my kids and the office, so I need multi-functional pieces like this.
3. Splits 59 Saville Noir Windbreaker Jacket ($158) I can wear this on a cool day in the winter while I’m dropping my daughter off and then to work. It rolls up really tight and small in your suitcase, and you can even throw it over something when you’re going out at night.
4. Vie Active Rockell Compression Tights in Black Leopard ($139) This tight is one of the most incredible feeling fabrics. They’re extremely thin, and you can easily move in them. It’s like butter on your skin—a little slice of heaven on your body. The black ones are great with boots and a sweater in winter.
5. Stella McCartney X Adidas Essentials Shopper ($60) This is a great tote for my socks and my water bottle. I also love it because I can throw a diaper and a wipe in there, too, or my small laptop when I’m traveling. It’s durable, and it’s not so fancy I’m worried about ruining it.
For more information, visit www.xtendbarreworkout.com