My Five Beauty Obsessions: Shiva Rose
Several years ago during a Kundalini meditation, actress Shiva Rose had a revelation: “I realized I wanted to bring beauty and luminosity to women in a way that was nourishing and nurturing.”
Her website, The Local Rose, is that manifestation. It's now required reading for Los Angeles' haute-hippie set and covers everything from natural beauty products and nourishing recipes, to her favorite eco-friendly designers and tarot card readers.
“We are living in exciting times, when people are finally realizing that they can get even more benefits from products made without chemicals,” says Rose, who was married to actor Dylan McDermott and runs in LA's cool, wellness circles. "Our skin is the largest organ, and therefore what we put on our bodies and face literally gets absorbed."
Recently, inspired by her childhood spent outside of Tehran near the Elburz Mountains, Rose also starting formulating her own facial oil, which she hand blends in the kitchen of her pretty cottage nestled in Santa Monica Canyon.
The main ingredient? Rose oil, of course. “In Persia, the rose is a symbol of perfection, love, and beauty,” she says.
Here, including her namesake oil, are the five natural beauty products that she can't live without. —Rachel Marlowe
1. Shiva Rose Face Oil ($85) This oil really plumps up the skin with a nourishing blend of sea buckthorn,
camelina, argan and kukui nut oil from Hawaii, while rose essential oil reduces inflammation—and opens the heart chakra.
2. Egyptian Magic ($28) I love this basic skin cream that has been around since the 1980s. As a kid I was always entranced by the idea that it may have been used by the pharaohs. I use it to tame my hair when its
wild, and apply it over any oil or serum for a dewy look.
3. RMS Living Luminizer ($38) This highlighter imparts a pearly, fairy dust glow. I love this everything in the RMS line that uses coconut oil as its base.
4. Isa Restoratives Lilac Rouge ($22) I always keep a tin of this tinted lip and cheek balm by Isa’s Restoratives on hand. It’s handmade with yummy natural ingredients like macadamia and avocado oil, the subtle tint is great, and I love the lilac fragrance.
5. Goat Milk Soaps ($8) My favorite soaps are these
handmade goats’ milk and olive oil bars. The scents are all utterly divine from almond honey and blackberry vanilla, to coco mango and rose. The goats’ milk balances the pH in your skin naturally and the olive oil really nourishes.
For more information, visit www.thelocalrose.com
Loading More Posts...