A smoothie for breakfast and a big salad for dinner are clutch go-to healthy meals, but with temperatures hovering right above freezing, chances are, you’re craving something a bit more substantial—and warm. (Curling up with a chunky knit blanket and…a big bowl of greens definitely isn’t living the hygge dream.)
So how to tuck into a warming stew without spending hours in front of the stove?
Bonus: There’s only one pot to clean when your food is ready.
Keep reading for three easy Paleo meals to make with your slow cooker.
Paleo Breakfast Porridge
Yields 2 servings
Hot oatmeal or porridge is such a comforting morning meal, especially during the winter months. In this recipe, Robins uses a blend of nuts, seeds, and coconut to make a grain-free porridge you can make ahead in larger batches and simply reheat throughout the week.
1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
1/4 cup pepitas, shelled
1/2 cup pecan halves
1/2 cup unsweetened dried coconut shreds
1 cup water
2 tsp coconut oil, melted
1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
Optional garnishes: Fresh fruit, coconut sugar, or ghee
1. Combine all of the ingredients except for the water, coconut oil and maple syrup in a blender or food processor, and blend for around 30 seconds or until the mixture becomes a meal (like almond meal).
2. Place the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on high for one hour. Serve warm.
Egg Roll Soup
Yields 6 servings
This recipe will put your local takeout joint to shame when it comes to both nutritional profile and taste. No need to fry with this one—just cook the meat, mix in the veggies, and the work is basically done. Egg roll craving: satisfied.
1 lb ground pastured pork
1 Tbsp ghee, avocado oil, or olive oil
1 large onion, diced
4 cups chicken stock or beef stock
1/2 head cabbage, chopped
2 cups shredded carrots
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground ginger
2/3 cup coconut aminos
Optional: 2–3 Tbsp tapioca starch
1. Brown the ground pork in the tablespoon of cooking fat over high heat in a skillet for about 8 minutes.
2. Transfer the meat to your slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients except for the tapioca starch. Cook your soup on low for five hours. If you would like to thicken it, remove one-fourth cup of the broth, whisk in two tablespoons tapioca starch, then return the mixture to the pot and stir.
Chicken Tikka Masala
Yields 4 servings
Tikka masala can totally be dairy- and grain-free—meaning that it’s truly a healing dish (thanks to powerful spices like turmeric and ginger). Serve this recipe over basmati rice, if you tolerate gluten-free grains; otherwise, cauliflower rice will taste just as delicious.
1 lb chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 large onion, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp ginger
1–2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp paprika
28 oz organic crushed tomatoes (jarred)
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup full-fat coconut milk
To serve: Your favorite grain-free rice and fresh cilantro
1. In a slow cooker add all of the ingredients except for the coconut milk. Stir and cook on low for six hours or high for three hours.
2. At the last 30 minutes, add the coconut milk. Stir and then serve over zucchini rice, cauliflower rice, or basmati rice. Top with fresh cilantro. If the sauce is too thin, consider reducing it on the stovetop or thickening it with a couple of tablespoons of tapioca starch.
If you’re in a time crunch, these recipes are all Paleo and vegan—and can be made in 10 minutes or less. Also: It’s possible you’re doing Paleo all wrong.
Loading More Posts...