Sure, sweet potatoes and avocado have been game-changers when it comes to toast and salad, but dessert? It’s happening. And better yet, in this recipe they’re being used together to make a rich, gooey brownie that’s super low in sugar. (Take that, Little Debbie.)
Teresa Cutter, the mastermind behind The Healthy Chef, has the recipe on lock. Her secret is blending the aforementioned sweet potatoes with cacao for a rich taste that gives an energy boost, and maybe even a buzz. (The protein, magnesium, and iron help, too.)
As for that aforementioned avocado: It’s the base for the frosting, along with cacao, vanilla, and sea salt (think avo-mousse, but on sweet potato brownie).
Bonus: The recipe is completely vegan and gluten-free. Is your mouth-watering yet?
Scroll down for The Healthy Chef’s delicious—and good for you—sweet potato brownie recipe.
Vegan, Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Brownies
For the brownies:
16 oz roasted sweet potatoes, cooled and smashed
1 cup cold-pressed coconut oil, solid state
1/2 cup organic maple syrup
1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
6 fresh dates, pitted
3 cups almond meal
1. Preheat your oven to 320°F.
2. Combine sweet potato, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, cacao powder, and dates into a food processor.
3. Process for two to three minutes until smooth and creamy.
4. Add almond meal and process again for another minute until combined.
5. Spoon into an 11 x 8 inch lined baking tray and smooth out the top.
6. Bake for about 45 minutes, then remove from the oven and cool.
7. Combine frosting ingredients into a high-speed blender for two minutes until smooth and creamy.
8. Spread over the top of the brownie and enjoy.
Each week we spotlight a healthy-delish recipe that’s truly genius (and easy to make) from someone who’s wowed us in the food world. We’re talking buzzy cookbook authors and Instagram foodies to brilliant chefs. You can find more mouthwatering must-try ideas from the Recipe of the Week archive.
While you have your sweet potatoes out, use them to make this sweet potato pad thai. Plus, these seven ingredients will make meal prepping a cinch.